About Me

i am writing this blog for the purpose of encouragement and accountability.

Monday, May 9, 2011

how i arrived at this place

When Noah was two weeks old I realized that she had yeast. I asked some questions, got some gentian violet to help out, and also some monistat 7. It helped some, but would leave and come back and so forth. About a week later I had weird pains in my chest while nursing. It would shoot into my armpit and around into my back. I looked it up online (good ol' Google) and found out that I too had yeast...poo.

     Well, not a problem! I started applying the gentian violet too and thought it should be gone within three days. I also got some grapeseed oil extract and was taking that bitter stuff daily, as well as drinking the juice of two lemons daily to try and get my ph level balanced. The gentian violet did help the major pain of it go away, but I still had burning in my nipple. And Noah still had off-and-on yeasty buns. 
      I've done tons of reading, talking with people, and praying. I have finally come to the conclusion that yeast isn't this thing that can easily be treated topically and remedied, but is indeed alive and well inside my gut :p. 
     I learned that yeast is actually something that is good but only in small amounts.  When you have a yeast infection it's actually a yeast overgrowth. The good bacteria in your gut usually keeps it in check but if for some reason it dies (bad diet, antibiotics, too much stress, too little sleep, taking the pill,...and the list goes on) the yeast has the opportunity to grow. In order to kill the yeast you have to starve it. It feeds on sugars and rotten food in your gut (so glamorous right?:).
     My mom showed me a video that lead me to this book called The Body Ecology Diet.  I had already cut out most sugar from my diet but not fruit. After reading this book I cut out dairy (except for fermented dairy and butter), gluten, all forms of sugar (honey, fruit, you name it, except for stevia because that doesn't feed the yeast), most carbs, and I learned all about food combining. 
     In order to be completely healed you must be on the diet for three months straight without symptoms of yeast. I decided to stop for now because I cannot do the full three months until June. I am starting early June because we are going on vacation and I am not about to try and do this diet while everyone is going to be eating really yummy foods around me :)
     Noah is now four-and-a-half months old and we are still fighting this yeasty beast!
I have prayed for healing and feel like the Lord has given me the scripture 
James 1:12, "Blessed is the (wo)man who perseveres under trial: for once (s)he has been approved, (s)he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him."
and also James 1:2-4
     I know that I am going to be healed but it looks like I get to walk out my healing and learn some spiritual principles as well. 
      Thanks for your support :)

5 comments:

JKalashnikov Photo said...

Very cool Faithy Lu, I am proud of you. But just one thing, aren't buns supposed to have yeast in them. :) That's why they are so fluffy! :))

Leah the Great said...

Love it Faith! I will definitely be following your journey! I may actually join you that season but probably not so dramatic of a diet. Lets get HEALTHY!

SarahDershem11 said...

Very cool Faith. I will be interested to see how it all pans out. There is a part of me that wants to do it with you so that you are not ahead, if it turns out to be amazing!! :)

faithy lu said...

Jessica, you are so funny :)
Leah, I am excited you are doing something too, we can def encourage each other.
Sarah, Do ITTTT!!! That would be awesome! :)

Lynn Rivas said...

It is certainly appearing everywhere. I went on to research a thing called AZO that a friend recommended for a urinary tract infection, and found a whole lesson on how those are results of biofilms and that AZO is an antibiotic that kills the healthy guys that we need in the intestines and leaves us defenseless against yeast overgrowth and all kinds of infections. I'm preparing too, making little changes right now, like no sugar, and organic meat and sprouted grain bread, and researching. I join in being very excited for you Faith, and I love your open, educational blog.